Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Back in the office

After a weekend full of community service work and a fun day at the waterfall it was time to get back to the office. This week we are focusing on our deliverables. Most of those will come in the form of recommendations, but we still have a lot of work to do to review our interviews and research, summarize our findings and make sure our recommendations match the deliverables we have agreed to.

When we left for lunch we first stopped at a local laundry to drop off some clothes for washing. It's
an interesting place. The building is obviously her home and where she does laundry to make a living. It is very humble. The front room appears to be her living room. There is a very small TV in one corner. Off of this room you can see a bedroom and the laundry room. It's a long narrow building so we're assuming there is a kitchen somewhere, but we could not see one from where we were standing.

For lunch we went to an open-air buffet with a small band playing instrumental music. It felt good to be out of the office and I tried some new foods. As I told Steve, I know I am eating new things, but I can't necessarily tell you what they are. I just know if I like it or not. I do, however, know I had some goat in a soup and it was good. Also, on Sunday I ate rabbit satay and it was fine. It seems that whenever the peanut sauce gets put on something it all tastes the same...unless it's liver, as I found out the hard way.

Speaking of not liking things...before leaving for Indonesia my boss made me promise her (or she at least strongly encouraged me) to try durian. It is a large prickly fruit often referred to as the King of Fruits. Inside the fruit is a custard like substance and people either love or hate the fruit. The smell is so horrendous that there are some areas - like restaurants and airplanes - that ban people from having the fruit. I finally tried it and it was utterly disgusting. Everyone in our group found it vile. The best way we came up with to describe it is that the taste is a cross between a really bad stinky cheese and a rotting onion. Hours have past and I still can't get the taste out of my mouth.

This is what a durian looks like:


Tomorrow will be another busy workday. Time for a little sleep and another tooth brushing to try and get the dorian off of my tastebuds.

#IBMCSC #CSCIndo9 #IBMIndo

2 comments:

  1. I can't stop laughing!! Thanks for trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! That might be one of those cases where you really don't need to try something to see if you'll like it. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete