Thursday, October 12, 2017

Welding, Diving and Candra

Today we toured the workshops at STP. The most interesting part for me was getting to see the underwater welders practicing their skills.It's a bit hard to see in the picture, but there is a student diver in the water standing on a platform and welding a piece of metal. A career as an underwater welder has sometimes been of interest to me. Not that I would ever really do it, but looks exciting and pays incredibly well. However, it is also very dangerous.




Our team spoke to the students following their dive and of course, we took photos. I got to hold the special welding diving helmet. It was very heavy.



In this blog and my Facebook photo album I've mentioned our project assistant a few time - Candra. She serves as our translator, schedules interviews and arranges for things we need throughout the project, takes notes, helps us find lunch and generally takes great care of us. We would be lost without her.

Candra is an excellent translator. I'm amazed at this skill - it's a talent, really. She spends a large portion of her day translating our questions to the locals we are speaking with, listening to their response and then translating it back to us. I have to imagine it is exhausting work to use your brain muscles for this and there have been days we've needed her to translate for 6+ hours.

She has also helped us with very basic things. This morning she went with us as we dropped off our laundry. She spoke with the woman who runs the laundromat and gave us information on pricing and when things would be ready.

I knew we would have a translator working with us on our project, but I did not expect such a dynamic person who can do such a great job translating and a great job at truly being our project assistant.
There have been many nights she has worked long and late hours to translate documents for us. Sometimes it seems she's a step ahead of us and by the time we ask her to do something she has already taken care of it. I just can't say enough good things about her.

#IBMCSC #CSCIndo8 #IBMIndo, 

No comments:

Post a Comment