Thursday, March 10, 2016

Weeks 1 - 3a

I've started training for a triathlon. I've decided to use my blog to write about the challenges and successes of said training. The WIN for KC triathlon is July 30, 2016, at Smithville lake north of Kansas City. It's a sprint-tri - 600 meter swim, 10 mile bike ride and a 5K.

I'm sorely out of shape - 5'11" and weigh 275 as I type this. The training program I found is for beginners. It's a 22 week program and began with a very basic 100 yard swim, 20 minutes walk and two mile bike ride. If I follow the plan I will be doing distances further than what constitutes a sprint-tri before the race gets here. That being said - I expect to be in excellent shape for the length of triathlon I signed up for.

The first two weeks of training were pretty tough for me. Not really hard, but they tested my endurance. And, it was frustrating because I wasn't even doing that much. It just showed me how horribly out of shape I am. Even the swimming part was challenging for me - and I was a competitive swimmer for 12 years.

Week three began Monday (today is Thursday). Tuesdays are my rest days. So, today was day three of exercising this week. I feel like I had a breakthrough, tonight. Not a huge "a-ha" moment, but for the first time I didn't feel like I was struggling and I swam 250 yards without having to stop and catch my breath.

To top it all off, on my way back to the locker room a complete stranger complimented me on my swimming form.

No comments:

Post a Comment