Saturday, April 22, 2017

Triple Crown

I had a REALLY good workout, today.

I've had to skip a couple of days this week. So, today, I doubled up and did two workouts (three sports). Now, you have to remember I am on a really conservative training plan. So, the distances and times aren't all that long, but doing two training workouts over the course of an hour and five minutes was a good push to see where I am at.

First, I did my 20 minute walk. However, I decided to put some running into it and ended up running six of 10 laps and made a 16 minutes mile. This is compared to a 21 minute mile when I've been walking it. Quite a difference. I feel like I could have run more of it - if I'd had someone there pushing me, but also didn't want to push too hard. Again, I don't want to injure myself leading up to the race.

Second, I did the stationary bike. I had a wait a little while to get on the bike I wanted. The gym has a lot of stationary bikes. However, there are two that are built more like a road bike than the others and I wanted to train on one of those. I think the calibrations may be off, though. The bike says I went four miles in 11:20 and I find that near impossible to believe. So, I decided it was more like two miles - which makes a whole lot more sense. I preferred riding this bike over the other bikes, but do wish the calibration was correct. Hopefully. tomorrow, I can get my own bikes tuned and tires filled so I can start riding outside.

Third, I swam. I only swam 200 yards. This feels super short to me, but it's what the training plan says to do. So, that's what I'm sticking with. It only took me 4:36. Granted, this is not fast when it comes to racing. It just seems like a ridiculously short amount of time to be in the pool. The roof over the pool was open a little bit, today. So, after I swam I sat in a lounge chair under the sun and let my suit dry out a bit before heading to the locker room.

I am super proud of what I did, today. To put it into context, last year I finished the triathlon in 2:06. Today, I worked out for a total of 36 minutes and went about a third of the distance of the triathlon. If I keep this up I'm gonna be rocking it by July 30!

1 comment: