Thursday, April 27, 2017

Worry Wart

Well, today wasn't as good as yesterday, but that's going to happen. It was a bike day.

I just started biking around the neighborhood earlier this week. It's hilly - which is good and bad. Half the time I feel like I'm cheating because I'm coasting downhill and the other half of the time I think I'm going to pass out from pushing myself uphill. I have to make little goals for myself...make it to the next parked car...make it to the next tree...make it to the next corner...

In the midst of that I worry. I worry I'm going to fall off; I worry I'm going to get a flat tire; I'm worried I'm going to hit a pothole or get stuck in a rut in the street and seriously crash. I can't take my hands off the handle bars. I have no idea how people grab a water bottle and take a long drink of water without having an accident. Maybe, someday, I'll get there.

I ended up having to walk about 4/10ths of a mile out of my 2.12 mile ride. I was going up a hill that lasted two blocks and could only make it about 3/4 of the first block. So, I walked to the corner of the big hill. Then, I was near a little shopping district and wasn't going to attempt getting on my bike in front of all those people. Then, I made it to the next corner and a man was with his daughter walking their two dogs. So, I had to let them pass before I was willing to brave getting back on my bike.

The last half mile didn't seem to be that hard - probably because most of it was downhill.

I just have to keep telling myself it will get easier and then I'll be able to go further and make it harder, again. Then, easier, harder, easier, harder, easier...Race Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment