Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Keeping Focus



When training for anything it is important to keep two things in mind – your current level of ability and your end goal. I find this especially important in training for races. It’s also very challenging.

The WIN for KC triathlon is 3.5 months away (102 days to be exact, but who’s counting). I know by then I will be leaner and fitter and be able to meet my time goals. I have to keep focused on those so I don’t lose sight of where I want to be and what I need to do to get there.

Conversely, it’s also important to keep in mind what my current fitness level and weight are. I need to know what my present day ability is. Otherwise, I could force undue training lengths on myself and likely come out injured and unable to compete in the triathlon.

The challenging part is keeping both of these conflicting images in focus and not lose sight of either of them. I have to remind myself I won’t get to the fitness level of July 29th overnight – or even a month from now. I also have to remind myself to push…just a little bit…with every work out, so that come July 29th I AM where I want to be.

It would be impossible for me to run a 30 minute 5K today. However, that will not be impossible on July 29th – as long as I stick to my training plan and push a little bit harder and stronger each day. A part of my mentality is telling myself that each day I work out is easier than the day before. However, if I’m pushing myself, this isn’t exactly true. What I should be telling myself is today’s workout is easier than it would be if I hadn’t worked out the day before.

Keeping proper focus is challenging, but it is the way to success.

No comments:

Post a Comment