Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Oh, Snap!

I did a triple workout, today. It started with a 25 minute (1.5 miles) run on the Trolley Trail. I almost had the whole trail to myself - perhaps because it's a little cool and things are still wet from the rain we've gotten. Then, I headed to the gym to bike. I'm not ready to ride my road bike on wet streets. Since stationary bikes are so much easier than a road bike I added one mile to the two that were on my schedule. Then, it was off to the pool!

My plan for today's workout was to swim 400 yards (the official plan says 250 yards). It's what I swam yesterday and that felt really good. So. I was ready for a repeat. The pool wasn't very crowded. Nice. Not only do I get my own lane, but I actually have lanes to choose from. I go to my lane, jump in, dunk my head to get my hair and face wet and put on my goggles...SNAP! The strap on my goggles breaks. Great. I tie the ends together with hopes that I can at least get them to work for my short swim, but they immediately come apart. So, I had no choice but to swim without them.

Here is what I discovered. Swimming with your head above water is really hard and works the muscles in your arms in a very different way. My body wasn't parallel to the water; I was at a diagonal - with my head out of the water and my feet about a foot below the water. I really felt the fatigue in the muscles on the outside of my upper arm. I ended up only swimming the 250 yards that is part of the official training plan and even getting in 250 was challenging.

Fortunately, I have spare goggles. This was a great reminder that for the triathlon, I have to be prepared for anything to happen and that preparation includes carrying an extra set of goggles with me (tucked into the strap of my tri kit) during the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment